History

  1. Treaty of Waitangi Signed

    1840

    The Te Tiriti o Waitangi/Treaty of Waitangi is a treaty first signed on 6 February 1840 by representatives of the British Crown and various Māori chiefs from the North Island of New Zealand.

  2. ACE House built

    1909

    ACE House (192 Tinakori Road) was built in 1909 for a Mrs Margaret Hacon, a widow who decided to return to her home town of Wellington after the death of her husband, a prominent Christchurch doctor.

    Mrs Hacon bought the building on the corner of Tinakori Rd and Poplar Ave and arranged for it to be removed. She then commissioned architects Hoggart and Proust to design her new home.

    The design of the house was avant garde and in the 1995 WCC Heritage Buildings Inventory (Volume 3: Streets O to Z – House, 192 Tinakori Road) it is recognised as being of significance. The style is described as “…a Baroque version of a German/Swiss half timber framed vernacular style.” A more recent assessment suggests the minor decoration beneath the triple windows on the facade is more likely to represent Art Nouveau forms and the overall design follows German trends rather than Swiss.

    Original plans for the house are currently displayed just inside the front door and reveal that the original layout downstairs comprised living rooms, dining room, kitchen and scullery while upstairs there were bedrooms (including a maid’s room) and a bathroom.

    A garage was built in 1945 and the downstairs meeting room was added in 1962 and an external staircase in 1966.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  3. WEA established.

    1915

    Workers' Educational Association (WEA) is established.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  4. 1921

    The Country Women’s Institute, the first rurally-based national women’s organisations is established. Later adult education opportunities are also provided by the Women’s Division of Federated Farmers (1925) and the Association for Country Education (1935).

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  5. Women's Division of Federated Farmers provided adult education

    1925

    Adult education opportunities are provided by the Women’s Division of Federated Farmers.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  6. Association for Country Education provides adult education

    1935

    Adult education opportunities are provided by the Association for Country Education.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  7. Representative CAE established

    1938

    The Education Amendment Act establishes a representative Council of Adult Education (CAE) to coordinate the activities of adult education organisations and promote adult education. At this time no other country has a statutory body to coordinate the activities of adult education organisations.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  8. NCAE established

    1947

    The Adult Education Act establishes a National Council of Adult Education (NCAE), served by an executive officer. NCAE’s primary function is “to promote and foster adult education and the cultivation of the arts”. Funding for adult education is doubled.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  9. ACE House home of Community Learning

    1949

    ACE House, 192 Tinakori Rd, became the home of community learning. It was the office of the National Council of Adult Education established by the Education Act in 1938 with the function of coordinating the activities of organisations concerned with adult education.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  10. NCAE purchases ACE House

    1952

    The National Council of Adult Education purchased the house in 1952 with the help of a grant of £4,250 from the Minister of Education, Ronald Algie. Since the purchase of the house tenants have included the Regional Council (later the Department) of Adult Education of Victoria University, WEA and ESOL Home Tutor Schemes, now English Language Partners NZ.

    When the National Council of Adult Education was disestablished in 1988, the assets were transferred to the current national body ACE Aotearoa.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  11. NCAE funding peaks

    1955

    National Council of Adult Education (NCAE) funding peaks.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  12. UNESCO International Education Year

    1970

    United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) designated International Education Year prompts a government review of adult education.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  13. Lifelong learning importance is raised

    1971

    The first Officer for Continuing Education is appointed at a senior level in the Department of Education. There are other new initiatives: University Extension Departments; the first community colleges; and innovative community education services in both Nelson and the Wairarapa. The Educational Development Conference involves some 60,000 New Zealanders in group discussions. Lifelong Learning is seen to be an important part of the education system.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  14. ANZCE formed

    1974

    The membership organisation, the Association of New Zealand Community Education (ANZCE), is formed.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  15. ANZCE renamed NZACCE

    1977

    Association of New Zealand Community Education (ANZCE) name is changed to the New Zealand Association of Continuing and Community Education (NZACCE).

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  16. REAP established

    1979

    The Rural Education Activities Programme (REAP) is established.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  17. Agencies close due to change in Government priorities

    1988

    Government funding cuts bring to a close the work of agencies such as the, Wairarapa Community Action Plan and the Nelson Community Education Service.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  18. CLANZ is Established

    1989

    Community Learning Aotearoa/New Zealand (CLANZ) is established to advise the Minister and allocate small grants to community groups. CLANZ is not given legal status and can not employ staff. CLANZ’s advisory powers are removed in 1991, and its annual allocation for distribution to groups reduced by 60 percent.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  19. NZACCE five-day conference with the Asian South Pacific Bureau of Education

    1992

    NZACCE co-organises a five-day conference with the Asian South Pacific Bureau of Education, marking the 150th anniversary of the Treaty of Waitangi. From now on the Association has a Maori and non-Maori co-chair. Without a well resourced government agency the NZACCE becomes the focal point of the sector.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  20. WEAs become self-funded

    1992

    All WEAs become self-funded.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  21. CLASS Established

    1998

    CLASS (Community Learning Association Through Schools) is established to serve the interests of adult educators working from schools.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  22. NCAE is disestablished.

    1998

    National Council of Adult Education is disestablished.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  23. Koia Koia is published

    2001

    The Working Party on Adult Education and Community Learning’s report, Koia Koia is published, and the current era of adult and community education begins. ACE becomes part of the government’s tertiary education system.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  24. NZACCE is renamed

    2002

    NZACCE is renamed ACE Aotearoa, takes over the role and resources of the NRC. The organisation is later contracted by the Tertiary Education Commission to deliver specific services, including an annual conference, a newsletter and Adult Learners’ Week.

     

     

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  25. ACE Aotearoa becomes an Incorporated Society

    2002

    ACE Aotearoa became an incorporated society on 02 August 2002 (Reg No.1230590). 

    Between 2002-2003 the National Resource Centre merged with ACE Aotearoa after the National Resource Centre decided it was more beneficial for the sector to have one lead organisation rather than two. The National Resource Centre was established in 1989 and took over the assets of the National Council for Adult and Community Education. It operated as a coordinating body and centre for the dissemination of information and the promotion of research. However, it had limited resources and was never able to fund research. It functioned mainly as a provider of information through its publication, Lifelong Learning in Aotearoa.

    ACE Aotearoa owns the premises and maintains an office at 192 Tinakori Road, Thorndon, Wellington. The distinctive building which was passed onto ACE Aotearoa by the National Resource Centre has been the location for past ACE umbrella organisations, the National Resource Centre and the National Council of Adult Education.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

  26. ACE House Earthquake Strengthened

    2013

    After the Christchurch earthquakes, Wellington buildings came under close scrutiny and the house was “yellow stickered” by the Council. This meant it required earthquake strengthening.

    Strengthening work began in 2013 with the removal of the chimneys and a building consent application was accepted for the undertaking of critical work to strengthen the foundations (tie the House to the piles and replace rotten, unreinforced concrete). Upgrades to other aspects of the building were also required to bring the building closer to current Council compliance codes. These included smoke and heat detectors, an improved fire escape, and an accessible ramp to the House. The estimated cost of the upgrade has been $120,000.

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

ACE Aotearoa became an incorporated society on 02 August 2002 (Reg No.1230590). It had previously been known as the Association for Continuing Education which was formed in 1974, at a meeting called by the Auckland WEA, and attended by representatives of the university and the newly established community schools. It was seen as a coordinating body for community education activities, a grass roots organisation, which would reflect new developments in education. The first AGM and conference was held on 7 December, 1974. Its title was “Community Education for All”.

Between 2002-2003 the National Resource Centre merged with ACE Aotearoa after the National Resource Centre decided it was more beneficial for the sector to have one lead organisation rather than two. The National Resource Centre was established in 1989 and took over the assets of the National Council for Adult and Community Education. It operated as a coordinating body and centre for the dissemination of information and the promotion of research. However, it had limited resources and was never able to fund research. It functioned mainly as a provider of information through its publication, Lifelong Learning in Aotearoa.

ACE Aotearoa owns the premises and maintains an office at 192 Tinakori Road, Thorndon, Wellington. The distinctive building which was passed onto ACE Aotearoa by the National Resource Centre has been the location for past ACE umbrella organisations, the National Resource Centre and the National Council of Adult Education. The building was built in 1909 and had been the home of the National Council of Adult Education since 1949. The Council purchased the building in 1952.